Episode 21: Do Age Gaps Matter?
Subscribe for Free to Our Podcast
In All Seriousness
Age: Just a number?
In this episode, Tony and Jill actually agreed that age differences should not matter, as long as one isn’t in a position of power over the other. In fact, Tony urged listeners to not pursue their professor.
He had other thoughts as well on the topic:
- An age difference in a relationship shouldn’t matter as long as the two of you are equally yoked and love each other.
- If one person is 18, and the other is 45, this is probably a case where age matters. The 18-year-old brain is not developed enough to understand what they are truly getting into. This also applies to teacher and student relationships.
- Older women with younger men can be a good thing if they’re both looking for the same thing. But older men with women that are 40 years younger may not be a good thing. In this case, each person is in the relationship for different reasons. They may say they’re in love, but what kind of love is it? Time will tell.
Jill said that if you find you’re compatible with someone, don’t let an age difference stop you from seeing where the relationship will go, unless, of course, one has power over the other.
She had other thoughts, too:
- If you find yourself consistently attracted to someone older, but the relationship never works out, don’t be afraid to date someone who is younger or your age. Remember that you cannot expect different results, if you keep doing the same thing.
- Stay open to seeing who people really are. Often, all is not what it seems.
- Determine why you and your partner want to be in the relationship. Some just want to have fun, while others want a commitment. Make sure the two of you are on the same page.
Do you believe that age is just a number when it comes to relationships? Why or why not? Leave your answers in the comments section.