Episode 9: When Swag Becomes a Problem
Subscribe for Free to Our Podcast
In All Seriousness
Mine Vs. Yours in Relationships
In this week’s podcast, Tony and Jill kept using words that can be detrimental to a relationship like “mine” and “yours.” Jill said that you can still use those words and keep the peace as long as you also define what “ours” means to you and your partner.
Her other advice expands upon that idea:
- Recognize and respect all three categories of mine, yours, and ours. Yes, you may be a couple, but you’re still individuals, too, possibly with different interests and goals.
- Cheer each other on with genuine enthusiasm
- Realize that a win for your partner is a win for you, too
In keeping with the swag theme, Tony said that if people want to be kind to you, respond with “thank you” and enjoy whatever they give you.
He has more suggestions along those lines:
- Understand that it’s fine to accept swag or maybe even a gift, as long as the giver doesn’t want something inappropriate from you in return
- Consider declining swag or a gift if it makes your partner uncomfortable
- If you do accept swag or a gift, make sure you share it with your partner. That way, everybody is happy.
What is your opinion about accepting swag you didn’t earn? Who do you think won this podcast debate? Leave us your thoughts in the comments section.