Episode 19: Do Real Men Cry?
Subscribe for Free to Our Podcast
In All Seriousness
Allow Yourself to Be Moved
In this week’s episode, Jill encouraged listeners to be who they are. She told everyone that if they feel moved to cry, then there is no shame in doing so. Tony agreed, but added that everyone, especially men, need to be selective about where they are seen crying.
Tony had more thoughts on the topic for men:
- There appears to be a double standard for men and women when it comes to crying, and that’s sad. Maybe one day it will be okay for men to cry whenever they feel the need to do so.
- With that said, it is fine if a man cries at a funeral or if he cries because someone hurt him or his feelings.
- If you find yourself crying all the time for no apparent reason, you might be depressed. Please seek professional help.
Jill has more to say as well:
- Yes, crying can indeed be a sign of depression. Do not be ashamed to talk to a professional about it.
- Remember that crying can also indicate that you are a human who can be moved.
- If you feel the need to cry at work, excuse yourself and do it privately. Otherwise, that can work against you. Also if work brings you to a breaking point often, you may want to consider finding another job or career.
Do you believe it’s okay if men and women cry? What advice do you have to offer? Please leave your comments and response in the comments section.