Episode 34: How Much Should you Reveal About Your Past?
Subscribe for Free to Our Podcast
In All Seriousness
Don’t Talk too Much, but don’t keep too many secrets either
In this week’s episode, Tony and Jill discussed how much you should tell your partner about your past. We all have one, after all.
Tony urged listeners to be honest with their partner and with themselves.
He also has more advice:
- Some people hide what they don’t want others to see. Don’t do that. Remember that when you hide yourself from others, you hide from yourself, too.
- Decide what you want out of the relationship. Determining this can help you decide how much to reveal about your past.
- Ultimately, how much you decide to divulge is up to you.
Jill told listeners to show who they really are. She also has more tips:
- Don’t pretend to be someone you’re not, so when you’re talking about your past, don’t downplay or exaggerate.
- Be a good listener when your partner is telling you about his or her past. You’ll likely learn a lot about what you can and cannot tolerate long-term.
- Above all, establish open communication lines, whether it’s talking about your past or present. Secrets usually come to light at some point, but try not to overwhelm someone you’ve just met by telling him or her everything. Pace yourself.
How much do you think is too much to divulge about your past? Has this ever been an issue for you? Leave your answers in the comments section. Thanks and keep listening. We appreciate your support.